The commis chef prepares food items and assists the chef de partie in preparing and cooking meals. The commis chef partakes in washing, peeling, and cutting the fruits and vegetables needed for meals. Seasoning and preparing ingredients are also required.
- Proof of cook apprenticeship completion or equivalency.
- Minimum 2 – 3 years cook experience in a 4 or 5 star hotel, restaurant or high volume food service facility.
- Ability to demonstrate basic cooking methods such as braise, sauté, broil and grill and the use of a variety of knifes to slice, dice, chop, julienne, etc.
- Ability to identify and operate common kitchen equipment such as grinders, deep fryers, ovens, Bain Marie, mixers, etc.
- Good knowledge of food sanitation standards.
- Good knowledge of basic food ingredients in international classical dishes.
- Ability to follow detailed directions, instructions and recipes.
- Ability to work positively and cooperatively in a diverse environment.
- Completion of high school or basic equivalency preferred.
- Computer knowledge, a plus.
- Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests.
- Ability to read and write English in order to understand and interpret written procedures. This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and verbal forms and to effectively present information and respond to questions from guests, supervisors and co-workers.
- Be able to compute basic arithmetic.